One of the most scary and confusing parts of the journey to attuned eating is the beginning really, which is why, without some solid support, most people go back to dieting.
But hopefully not you, today, after reading this post. Not that you won’t have the thoughts (no need to judge yourself for thoughts). What we are interested in here is devotion to the truth.
Let’s dive in…….
Why isn’t “normal eating” simple? People asked me this all the time.
The reasons are many and some of them complex.
But today I want to focus on the most obvious ones. Eating based on body trust and wisdom has been eroded by food rules.
That’s right. The very bedrock of the diet and “wellness” industry is creating a template of should’s and should not’s, The rules and regulations pull us right up and out of our bodies, into the mind where those food check-lists of green, yellow and red light foods are memorised.
Doesn’t it make sense that “of course” when I start eating what I want, whether fully in tune with hunger and fullness or not, I am going to feel fear or guilt?
YOU ARE BREAKING RULES!
And part of you is going to be like “Yay”.
Part of you is going to say, ” I did something wrong”.
And that’s the push/pull.
I want to be free. I want to learn to trust.
But in the middle are the feelings of betrayal of self, belief that somehow we weren’t already good enough as we were and that we can only be okay if we follow rules to get to a number or look that will eliminate the worry of what others might think.
And then there is the body.
Habituation is a real thing. The more we are around something, the less special it is. Think about the last new to you car you bought. At the beginning you were so excited. Couldn’t wait to drive it. But after a while, it is less exciting and special. The same goes for food.
So of course this experience will feel similar to food eventually, especially as the need for it to be the main go to for emotion management is pushed further down the line as you have other strategies to ride the waves and grow your capacity to feel what you feel and stay present.
There is a lot going on here huh?
*Being excited about with-held freedom with food and fear of losing it.
*Learning to feel how you feel and respond in a way without consequences to the body
*Making decisions about what you body needs from your body, not from the social constructs of dieting, that can feel like an organisational tool for life
No wonder we get scared!
What do I suggest to do about food rules?
1) Watch this video that talks about some tangible “how too’s” to break down food rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_nTBs4lCCQ and make sure you check out other related topics and subscribe to not miss more free tip videos while you are there!
2) Be devoted and patient with yourself. It takes a long time to learn to trust there is not “magical weight gain food” just food that works or doesn’t in different situations.
3) We are going to eat more Play foods til we truly believe that we won’t go on diet tomorrow again and take them away. If your body/mind perceives a threat, and dieting after a while is going to be perceived as a threat and a stressor, we will be drawn in energy and choice restricted moments to eat higher energy foods.
Mostly the foods we said were “bad” and off limits during plans and programs. Long term we are better off purposely including play foods in every day to “show” the body
4) Keep working on more hunger and fullness clarity. I don’t suggest turning this process into the hunger fullness diet, but if you are feeling out of control, I highly suggest you give yourself regular eating guidelines such as regular meals, not waiting half a day to eat, etc. And check in often! If you need some more guideposts, check these out: www.tracybrownrd.com/free-gifts
Let me know what you think. What of the above resources might help you out of the food rule bind?
PS: I firmly believe that we all heal and grow faster in relationship. Don’t be a lone wolf in this food freedom journey. Reach out anytime you are ready to get more clarity about the aspect of recovery that is feeling stuck. email@example.com
PS: If you are looking for more support,
1) Enjoy these free case studies with tips how to have freedom from food and weight worries: http://bit.ly/2IfVZp2bodypeace
2) Put to use today these action resources to help you learn about eat without being obsessed or on a diet or worrying about your weight: www.tracybrownrd.com/free-gifts
3) Introduce yourself here: https://www.tracybrownrd.com/get-started. I love hearing from people about where you've come from and what your dreams are for full freedom from weight and food worries.