Hi dear ones,
Thank you so much for those who came live to my Attuned Eating and Compassion During Stressful Times FREE resource call. The resource folder of all the documents I promised will be in link to the dropbox folder below. If you don’t have dropbox, you might need to set up a free account to access the meal plan and costing sheet.
For those of you who couldn’t make it for whatever reason, please enjoy this replay and for those who came live who want to listen again, here is the replay: https://fccdl.in/2y7Nlkarcp
Here are the cliff notes from our support call:
- What is Regulation and of course global panic is going to trigger unprocessed stuff impacting food!
- One thing we can do to find some space inside to eat “attunenly”
- Addressing food insecurity with ideas for satisfaction with the resources we have and shopping on budgets with a sample menu
- Ways we can help others in need of food and connection
LET’S DIVE IN!
A) Fight, Flight, Freeze or Please
Stress responses have physical sensations that impact accurate hunger and fullness. Sometimes these sensations, if we have not yet built up a big window of tolerance, also can remind our bodies of past times of deprivation of food, connection and lack of safety.
For example, with racing thoughts — Witness your racing thoughts and add
1) Compassion and more compassion
2) Understand you may not “fix” it this moment, but you are interrupting the pattern of obsession
3) Use at least one tool for addressing hyperarousal to help your body understand at this very second there is not a tiger
“There is difference from terror and panic and caution and precaution; we are having to teach our body the difference”
4) Stay connected with others
5) Have some gentle structure, that may mean mechanical eating, checking in with a partner, utilizing your team more via text or meal sessions with your non diet nutrition dietitian or coach
6) Gentle structure also includes moving time, resting time, play, sleep without doing it “right or the same every day”
B) Eating more attunely and staying on track with your recovery at this point is going to come down to your efforts to:
1) Go back to the basics. Do you have enough and know what you need? Do you need to go back to mechanical eating to stay on track? Have meal support? Check in more to have more accurate hunger and fullness?
2) Moving on to food availability, I know we have fears, small or big, about lack of food supply seeing those grocery store shelves empty right? I think based on the reactions we see online or in the media that a hoarder mentality for fear of lack can take place. Some people shut down and don’t eat, saving food or lacking appetite, some people buy anything, regardless if or how they might use it.
These are flight-based responses. Of course, it isn’t bad if you are eating emotionally right now. It’s not the worst thing and hating it doesn’t change it. But if you feel you have the capacity and willing to take the time, see options a, b, c and d below.
3) If you are able and willing,
a) Slow down or juice up your nervous system out of flight/fight or freeze/please
b) Know what to do with the food available
c) Staying connected to what’s going well, going at the pace you can go, not cancelling appts with your team unless you have to, receiving help if you need it and again, stay connected via phone, text and online
d) Fresh air where you can to move that adrenaline
THREE THINGS YOU CAN DO TODAY
1) POST YOUR SELF CARE PLAN WHERE YOU CAN SEE IT
2) WEIGHT, CONTAINMENT, HEAT, PUSHING (from audio https://fccdl.in/2y7Nlkarcp )
3) REVIEW THE CONTENTS OF THE DROPOX MENU AND SHOPPING RESOURCE
HOW WE CAN HELP OTHERS
1) Call each other
2) Do video chats
3) Pass on this blog post
HOW CAN I HELP YOU?
If you are feeling like you are more isolated than usual from people who understand and struggling to stay on track with what you know helps you, consider walking on into the Peaceful Eating Community.
- One new module each month that consists of 1-3 attuned eating activities (worksheets, audio and video) , support with emotional over and under eating, self-care, an interview (such types as Ragen Chastain, Carmen Cool, Anna Guest-Jelley and many more, particularly trauma informed and larger bodied folks) and a somatic/neurosensory exercise to practice each month.
- (I am assuming you might have some time to learn new things right now or need some time to yourself to stay in recovery mindset)
- Private FB group for connection, support and where the 6 live coaching calls are hosted each month
- A password protected forum for resources and the modules
- Lots of bonuses such as meal planning resources, holiday eating and self-care guides and lots more!
Most importantly, it’s a been a joy to witness people have a brave space to ask for and give support to each other and also have a place to “make mistakes” and process without the stakes being high (you know, running into your dorm-mate or someone in town) to grow capacity to eat and live more attunely.
If this opportunity for growth and healing might fit you or someone you know, I appreciate you kindly considering:
And if you are wanting to be in this group for free plus work with me for 4 or 12 months one on one with text support to know someone is there who gets the “I know what I need to do but can’t take action on it” , email me here at email@example.com or www.tracybrownd.com/get-started and happy to chat with you.
If there is anything I can do to support you, please feel free to ask!
Be safe and well!
PS: If you are looking for more support,
1) Enjoy these free case studies with tips how to have freedom from food and weight worries: http://bit.ly/2IfVZp2bodypeace
2) Put to use today these action resources to help you learn about eat without being obsessed or on a diet or worrying about your weight: www.tracybrownrd.com/free-gifts
3) Introduce yourself here: https://www.tracybrownrd.com/get-started. I love hearing from people about where you've come from and what your dreams are for full freedom from weight and food worries.